The love for sarees in India is like an everlasting craze for women. It is also very much true that many fake saree products are available in the market that fool the customers. A buyer gets fooled due to lack of proper knowledge in identifying the genuine saree in terms of quality. If it happens with you it's quite normal that you will feel a bit low, thinking that your money and time both got wasted. Adi Mohini Mohan Kanjilal takes the initiative to make people aware of a genuine saree by discussing some of the key points. It is requested to all the readers and buyers to go through and verify these points before making a final purchase.
1. When you go to buy a Banarasi saree just reverse the saree and check for the floats between the grids of warps and wefts on the saree. Machine sarees fail to replicate that and only hand-woven Banarasi sarees will boats of such warp and weft technique.
2. In case of a Banarasi saree check for a six to eight inches long patch of plain silk on the pallu.
2. For a fake Banarasi saree the raw edges may feel rough on the skin.
3. Check for the handmade Persian designs on the saree because a fake one will never have them.
4. For a Patola silk look for the locking system at the back of the sari which is a mark of genuineness.
5. The colour of a Patola silk saree will never fade away and it is also believed that their colour stays for atleast 300 years.
6. While buying a Silk saree please do this touch test. Rub the silk with your hands and if you feel the warmth on rubbing it then please go and buy it. It’s real.
7. Do the wedding ring test for a silk saree. A genuine silk saree will easily pass through the ring due to its flexibility and smoothness, but a fake one won't.
8. Silk sarees are famous for their lusture, so please don't forget to check the lusture of the material.
9. A genuine silk saree will have minor variations in the evenness of the texture which is quite noticeable.
10. One of the best test is the burn test where you need to burn few threads of the silk and it should get burnt with the smell of a burnt hair. The ash produced is black, crispy and brittle.
11. The older the silk gets, the beautiful it tends to become. So, one can easily findout the genuiness by this property of silk.
12. For a Kanjivaram sari just make a scratch at the zari to check if the red colour emerges from the core of the saree.
12. A Kanjivaram saree will have three ply silk and not just two ply silk in them.
13. Check the weight of the Kanjivaram Saree because the heavier it is the better is the quality and eventually the price is also a bit high for those types.
14. If we carefully rub our hands over a genuine Chanderi silk and if it sounds like walking on the snow, then the saree is a real one.
We hope that these important 14 points will suffice your need in order to identify a genuine saree. Follow these steps, tips or tricks whatever you call it, while buying a saree.
Why the party wear Designer Sarees are so expensive
Mar, 10, 2020
Sparkling collection of Khaddi silk sarees online
Feb, 20, 2020
Know everything about a Jamdani Saree
Feb, 18, 2020